Your assistance is critical to aiding law enforcement and public safety officials who are working to keep Arizona, your local community and our whole country safe.
The following are items that will be useful to ACTIC investigators when you call or e-mail to report suspicious activity.
Always remember: YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST. NEVER attempt to make contact with, pursue or in any other way interfere with an individual or group of individuals whom you think are acting suspiciously. Call 911 immediately to report suspicious activity in progress, or call or e-mail the ACTIC to report ongoing suspicious activities.
When observing suspicious activity, please try to note the following information and make that information available to the 911 operator or ACTIC representative taking the report:
- Whether a single individual or a group of individuals is engaged in the activity; if a group, then how many individuals are in the group; is the individual or group in a vehicle or standing in the open?
REGARDING SUSPICIOUS INDIVIDUALS:
- Hair color
- Hair length
- Absence or presence of facial hair, and if present, facial hair color
- Eye color
- Approximate age
- Approximate height
- Approximate weight
- Distinguishing characteristics, such as visible scars, tattoos, piercings or deformities
- Clothing, including pants/shorts/skirt/dress, shirt sleeve length, presence of coat/jacket, wearing/not wearing hat or glasses, color of all articles of clothing
REGARDING SUSPICIOUS VEHICLES:
- License plate number and state
- Vehicle make/model
- Approximate year of vehicle
- Vehicle color
- Number of doors on vehicle
- Any visible bumper stickers or window stickers, including their size, color, placement and content
- Any visible damage to vehicle, such as paint damage, body damage, broken/missing glass, damaged or non-working head or tail lights
REGARDING SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITIES:
- Occupied vehicle sitting idle or parked
- Individuals taking photos of a potential target facility (landmarks, public buildings, power plants, water treatment facilities, etc.) from inside a vehicle
- Individuals taking "panoramic" or multiple-shot/multi-angle photos of a potential target facility
- Individuals taking detailed or extensive notes outside a potential target facility
- Individuals videotaping a potential target facility from inside a vehicle
- Individuals shooting long, continuous video of a potential target facility, or videotaping a potential target facility from multiple angles
Details matter. The more you observe, the more helpful your information will be. HOWEVER, all information is important. Even if you do not have complete details, PLEASE MAKE THE CALL.